Search Icon
info icon

Match Review: Man City 5-1 Bournemouth AFC

Individual errors cost the Bournemouth team as they succumbed to a 5-1 defeat at Manchester City.

Within the first five minutes, the Cherries had an early shout for a penalty but referee Mike Dean shook his head and the game continued.

Then just seven minutes in, City broke the deadlock through a Kevin De Bruyne cross which eventually picked out an unmarked Raheem Sterling, who stabbed home an open goal from point blank range.

Four minutes later Cherries keeper Adam Federici, who was brought into the starting eleven due to a late Artur Boruc injury, gifted City a second goal by dropping the ball for Wilfried Bony to double the lead.

The Cherries worked hard to find a way back into the game and did so through Glenn Murray, as the 32-year-old picked out the bottom right corner, beating Joe Hart from the edge of the box.

However, the Cherries’ hopes of finding an equaliser were crushed with City scoring a spectacular goal on 29 minutes to restore their two-goal cushion, with the score now 3-1.

De Bruyne’s fantastic through ball found Sterling, who danced around Cherries defenders Sylvain Distin and Steve Cook to slot home his second goal of the match.

Then on the stoke of half-time, City piled even more misery on the Cherries as Sterling completed his hat-trick.

Federici came racing out of his box to stop an initial effort but then Sterling slid the ball through his legs to make it 4-1 City.

The second half was far less eventful as City took their foot off the pedal and Bournemouth began to lose faith that they could come home with any points.

Cherries substitute Joshua King had a half-chance late on to make the scoreline less flattering for City, but his effort was scuffed wide.

Manchester City then rounded off the afternoon very late on through Bony, who turned around Cook to slot home his second goal of the afternoon and City’s fifth.

At full time the score was 5-1 to City, sending the Cherries home without any points.