Search Icon
info icon

Match report: Cherries beat Manchester United in historic win

AFC Bournemouth stun Premier League heavyweights Manchester United 2-1 at the Vitality Stadium on a famous Saturday night on the south coast.

Goals from dynamic duo Junior Stanislas and Joshua King, who caused United problems all night, gave Cherries one of the most famous results in their history over the twenty-time champions of England.

The only thing you could take away from the historic win was Marouane Fellani’s goal in between, but in reality the Cherries never looked like losing.

The Cherries started the game extremely brightly, and had a chance to score within the first minute. Joshua King burst down the left and was brought down by Guillermo Varela for a free kick from around 30 yards. Junior Stanislas stepped over and curled it into Dan Gosling at the near post who couldn’t quite connect properly.

It didn’t matter though as one minute later the Cherries had the lead, with Stanislas’ set pieces causing more problems. His quick corner from the left span all the way into the top right of the goal with David De Gea well beaten. A rare type of goal to score.

However, United looked dangerous straight after, and almost equalised in the fifth minute. Cherries goalkeeper Artur Boruc produced a fantastic double-save to deny Fellani after he was played in by Memphis Depay on the right.

United kept knocking on the door, Anthony Martial squandered an excellent chance with 17 minutes on the clock. The Frenchman intercepted a back pass to Boruc from Stanislas and went one-on-one with the Cherries keeper, but his effort went wide.

However, Bournemouth managed to find their groove again and had an excellent chance to double their lead. Arter’s long ball from inside the Cherries half looped over Paddy McNair and found Stanislas who went one on one with United keeper David De Gea. The pacey winger attempted to run around him and finish into an empty net but De Gea managed to snatch the ball from his feet to cut out the attack.

23 minutes in and United equalised after a huge scramble in the Bournemouth box. Boruc saved Martial’s initial effort which fell to the feet of Simon Francis who accidently knocked it to Fellani who smashed in from close range. Game on.

The Cherries then had a couple of half-chances before half time. King poked an effort just wide whilst Matt Ritchie and Stanislas both had low-drives from long range saved by De Gea who was determined to not concede again before the interval.

The first big chance in the second half resulted in a goal for the Cherries. Francis produced an incredible run from inside his own half and burst into the United box but his low shot was saved by De Gea. The Cherries then scored from the resulting corner, Matt Ritchie’s grounded-corner picked out Joshua King who finished into the bottom right. 2-1.

United had a chance to equalise in the 56th minute through Fellani who’s shot from close range was parried by Boruc, but after another goal-mouth scrabble, the Cherries cleared.

However, it was the Cherries who finished the stronger and arguably should have increased their lead with two glorious chances for substitute Glenn Murray missed.

It didn’t matter though as King, a former United player, had ensured the Cherries once again wrote the headlines in another memorable night on the south coast.


Cherries: Bourc, Smith, Cook, Francis (C), Daniels, Ritchie, Surman, Arter (O’Kane 85), Gosling, Stanislas, King (Murray 64).

Unused substitutes: Pugh, Rantie, Kermorgant, Federici, Distin.

Goals: Stanislas (2), King (54)

Booked: Arter (85)

Manchester United: De Gea, Varela, McNair (Jones 90), Blind, Borthwick-Jackson, Carrick (C), Fellani (Powell 73), Lingard (Perrera 31), Mata, Memphis, Martial.

Unused substitutes: Romero, Young, Schneiderlin, Tuanzebe.

Goals: Fellani (24)

Booked: Pereira (40)

Attendance: 11,334 (1,345 away)